Thursday, August 27, 2015

Sgt. Pepper's Cauliflower Pizza

So close to Spring! And so another 'healthy' recipe to add to you repertoire for that super light yet still totally fun feeling.

I've been meaning to make a cauliflower crust for a pizza for quite a while now, and when I found the simple and, in the author's words, 'BEST' recipe around (I've adapted my recipe from http://www.theluckypennyblog.com/2013/02/the-best-cauliflower-crust-pizza.html) I just had to make it for dinner last night!



And it's super simple, though I found it a little time consuming probably because I'd never done anything like it before.


Firstly, cut a cauliflower head into florets and wash thoroughly, then blitz in your food processor (it took mine quite a few go's so don't fret, pet!)


It will look like this, now:


Then just cover with cling film and microwave it for 4 minutes, before dumping it on a tea towel and leaving it for about 5 minutes to cool slightly. Too hot to handle! Once cooled, wring the life out of your cauliflower 'flour'. I was so surprised at the amount of water that comes out of a cauliflower, and to ensure I got a crisp crust that I could pick up and eat like a pizza, I wrung mine twice - first in a thick tea towel, then a much thinner one.


Pour the cauliflower into a bowl, then add 2 eggs, a pinch of salt, 1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese + 2/3 cup grated 'pizza'/mozzarella cheese, plus a pink of dried oregano. Mix, mix, mix with your hands to form a sort of dough! The dough is wet, and you won't be able to roll it out like a normal pizza dough, so just halve the recipe and pat the dough down on two separate lined baking trays to form a circular pizza shape (you know what a pizza looks like!) 



While you're doing all this, pre-heat your oven to 250 degrees Celsius. Bake the two pizzas for 15 minutes until nice and crisp - do not rush this baking process because once you put toppings on the pizza the base will not crisp up anymore!


Add your toppings (I used pizza sauce, cheese, peppers, pequillo peppers) and bake once more for 10 minutes or until your cheese has melted. Et voila! A much lighter version of a pizza - in fact, I could probably have eaten the whole thing on my own! xx


No comments:

Post a Comment